Why are Airlocks so important for Home Wine Making?
- Firstly, they keep out all of the undesirable micro-organisms that can ruin your wine. Vinegar bacteria, lactic bacteria, and weak wild yeasts are all kept at bay with a properly maintained airlock.
- Secondly, airlocks prevent oxygen from entering your wine. Not only does this prevent oxidation it makes the production of alcohol possible.
- Yeasts only produce alcohol when it consumes sugar. This is only possible once they’ve run out of oxygen. Thus it is critical that a properly set up airlock is used to starve the yeast of oxygen so they’ll produce alcohol.
- Clean and sanitize every part of the airlock and plug.
- Fill airlocks with only clean water.
- Check on your airlock every day.
Please follow and like us: